Is Your Pothos Plant Poisonous to Dogs? The Truth Revealed

Is Your Pothos Plant Poisonous to Dogs? The Truth Revealed Dog Toys

Short answer can pothos kill dogs:

Pothos contains calcium oxalate crystals that irritate the mouth, tongue, and throat of both humans and animals. Ingestion may cause vomiting, behavioral changes or even death in severe cases. It is best to keep pothos plants away from pets such as dogs to prevent any potential harm.

How Can Pothos Kill Dogs? A Step-by-Step Guide to Identifying Symptoms and Treatment

Pothos, otherwise known as devil’s ivy, is a common household plant renowned for its air-purifying qualities and easy-to-care-for nature. However, while this beautiful green beauty may seem harmless to humans, it can pose severe dangers to pets such as dogs.

So how exactly can pothos kill dogs? In this step-by-step guide, we’ll discuss the symptoms of pothos poisoning in dogs and what you should do if your furry friend has fallen victim to it.


The first thing you need to look out for is signs that your dog may have ingested pothos or come into contact with parts of the plant. You may notice:

1. An upset tummy: Watch out for vomiting or diarrhea – these are an excellent indicator that something isn’t right inside your pooch’s digestive system.

2. Suffocation/Choking Sensation: Swelling and irritation in their airways due to inhaling tiny leaves or dust particles from the plant can cause suffocation and choking sensations in dogs.

3. Neurological Symptoms: Pothos contains calcium oxalate crystals which irritate the mouth and tongue when ingested by creating a numbness sensation along with difficulty swallowing & drooling seen in many cases.

4. Physical Discomfort – When interacting with branches or foliage This means lethargy not feeling well overall mixed with painful biting/chewing at their mouths frequently hitting objects dislodging things from surfaces most times abnormally quite roper chewing behaviors shown too

5.Increased Heart Rate: Since Pothos toxins reduce oxygen availability leading towards damage making continuous heartbeat treatment becomes necessary simultaneously reducing oral allergies


If you suspect that your dog has eaten pothos or physically interacted heavily with any part of them immediately take them pet clinic/emergency center within precise 30 minutes before respiratory distress sets off seek immediate Veterinarian attention without delay; time is of the essence.

The medical team will provide immediate treatment based on the severity of your dog’s condition:

1. Inducing Vomiting: Veterinarians induce vomiting to flush out any remaining poison from their body.

2. Oxygen Supply: In severe cases, dogs may require oxygen supply due to respiratory distress caused by a toxic reaction.

3. Flushing Out Toxins From The Body -Sometimes hydrated IV saline solution helps in reducing toxicity this happens alongside providing care for anti-inflammatory conditions using medicine

4. Oral Treatment and Medications: Dogs who have ingested Pothos’ toxins require capsules or IV corticosteroids treatment (to prevent swelling) antibiotics(most common bacterial infections like diarrhea), blood pressure medication nebulizers(used with albuterol for bronchodilator effect,histamine blockers to stop allergies fast)

Prevention Measures

To keep your furry friend safe from pothos poisoning, it’s always better to take preventive measures so they can stay healthy! Here are some tips you should consider:

– Restrict Access – Frequently keep an eye open inside homes limited areas where plants grow is highly recommended.

– Decorative Elements Can Be Hazardous – Since pets aren’t aware which items could harm them ornaments/stones/planters etc need safety vigilance placed at higher levels away from paws reach that means not near doors falls causing accidents cuts scratches resulting in injuries

– Educate Those Close w/ Your Pet One most crucial element since pets cannot help themselves human companions living nearby interact with them every day stands as their only protector taking charge educating handlers during walks avoiding risky behaviors essential when poisonous leaves show up OR debris through canine nose/mouth while outside playing affected Open communication counts on both sides here!

Final Thoughts

While pothos adds a natural touch of beauty around our houses, remember its potential adverse effects if unwatched over pets.Actions speak louder than words, so hopefully after reading this article about the symptoms and treatment of pothos poisoning in dogs; you will now be aware of what can happen under such unfortunate circumstances.

It’s easy to become complacent when it comes to plant care with pets but maintaining proper supervision and taking safety measure is always best for furry companions!

Your Top 5 FAQs Answered on Whether Pothos Can Kill Dogs

Are you a plant lover with furry friends? Are you concerned about whether the pothos plants in your home pose a risk to your beloved pets? This article will provide answers to your top FAQs about the impact of pothos on dogs.

1. What is Pothos, and Is It Safe for My Dog?
Pothos (Epipremnum aureum) are popular houseplants known for their heart-shaped leaves that are often variegated. Pothos can thrive in low light conditions, making them an ideal choice for indoor gardening enthusiasts. While these plants aren’t inherently toxic or poisonous, they do contain calcium oxalate crystals that could lead to irritation and swelling if ingested by both humans and animals alike.

2. Can Dogs Eat Pothos Leaves?
Dogs shouldn’t eat pothos leaves due to their potential toxicity to domestic animals like cats and dogs. The consumption of any part of the pothos plant may cause gastrointestinal upset such as drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, gagging coughs or vomiting blood within several hours after ingestion.

3. What Causes the Potential Harmful Effects Of Potho On Pets
As mentioned earlier, pothos plants produce microscopic needle-like calcium oxalate crystals when damaged which irritates human skin upon contact; it’s also harmful upon chewing/eating by pets because this toxin remains intact even after digestion alongside digestive acid in its victim’s belly which makes it hard harming the inner gut walls causing inflammation leading over time to chronic renal failure or electrolyte imbalances potentially fatal scenarios if not treated correctly.

4 .What Should I Do If I Notice My Dog Has Consumed A Portion Of My Potho Plant

Pet owners should consult with a veterinarian right away if they notice any unusual changes in behavior from canine companions who recently have gained access into parts where Pothe species grow readily indoors:
Symptoms indicative emergency medical should include vomiting, diarrhea and/or abdominal pain along with any other severe signs such as irregular pulse rates or respiratory distress since these may signal an acute reaction requiring professional veterinary only.

5. What Are Other Alternative Safe Houseplants Options For Pets You Can Keep In Your Home?

Pothos plants are generally considered safe for pets, but if you’re concerned about the potential risks associated with them, a variety of alternative houseplant options exist that won’t cause harm to your furry friends.
For starters: Boston fern (Nephrolepis exaltata), spider plant/ribbon plant (Chlorophytum comosum) and African violets (Saintpaulia spp.) make classic indoor decorating accents without posing additional health challenges dogs or cats by commonly found in most pet-friendly homes around the world

In summary, Pothos pose possible negative effects on your pets leading up to life-threatening complications primarily affecting their renal system when consumed mistakenly—especially harmful if ingested alongside electrolyte imbalances. So be prompt to consult professional emergency help as earlier stated before it’s too late; alternatively switching out toxic foliage indoors is equally essential!

The Truth Behind Pothos and Dogs – Top 5 Facts You Need to Know

As any plant enthusiast or fur parent would know, owning a dog and having indoor plants can be quite a tricky balancing act. Certain plants can prove harmful or even deadly to our furry companions, so it’s important to do research before bringing any new greenery into the home. One popular houseplant that often comes up in this conversation is Pothos (Epipremnum aureum). But what really is the truth behind Pothos and dogs? Here are five facts you need to know:

1) Pothos contains calcium oxalate crystals – While not toxic per se, these tiny needles found in the leaves and stems of Pothos can irritate a dog’s mouth and digestive system if ingested.

2) The level of danger depends on quantity – Ingestion of small amounts may only cause minimal symptoms such as drooling and vomiting, while larger quantities could potentially result in severe issues like renal failure.

3) It’s safer when placed out of reach – As with most indoor plants, the easiest way to ensure your pup won’t snack on them is by keeping the plant high enough where they cannot come into contact with it.

4) Avoid planting them outside – Even if you’re confident that your dog won’t go after an outdoor patch of pothos, it still poses threats for non-canine creatures who might consume it: namely cats!

5) Symptoms should be checked immediately- Similar to many potential poisoning cases with pets there will be signs like constipation other gut problems which require medical attention ASAP.

When used correctly indoors around mindful owners these tropical green foliage plants remain low maintenance without causing great risks impacting dogs health and therefore make excellent options for pet safe spaces. By taking proper precautions both at home and outdoors one can keep their pups healthy whilst also enjoying an aesthetically pleasing Hoya like easy-going oxygen giving flora inside their happy abode!